Thursday, June 11, 2009

Green Lantern Corps #37
Writer: Peter Tomasi / Artist: Patrick Gleason

The thing I liked so much about last issue was the Sinestro and Soranik dynamic. The revelation about their relationship only added to Sinestro's motivations. I wanted to learn more about the two this issue. Sadly, neither make an appearance.

This issue suffers for its lack of a sympathetic character. The main part focuses on the prison break on Oa. I saw the same thing in the Sinestro Corps War, so it feels like a rehashed plot to me. Also, I'm new to the series, so I didn't really know why the Sinestro Corps is trying to break prisoners out again. Something interesting does happen when Lyssa Drak tries to steal Scar's book. The retaliation is awesome. Scar seems to be up to something diabolical too. I am looking forward to where that will lead.

Some of the time is spent on the planet Daxam, as well. Again, I am new to this series, so I don't particularly understand the Daxamites' situation. This issue doesn't peak my interest in them whatsoever. I don't care about their new powers, nor do I care for them to defeat the Sinestro Corps.

Green Lantern Ash gets a fair amount of time this issue too. He comes across Saarek, who was also given the task to find the Anti-Monitor. Apparently the Guardians knew it was a dangerous task, so sent two Lanterns on this one-man mission. However, their interaction is truly meant to build on Ash's character. He's out to avenge his wife's death and Saarek tries to calm him down. Of course, Ash isn't having any of that. I am going to go ahead and predict that all this is going to lead to Ash's wife being a Black Lantern. There! You heard it here first.

Peter Gleason's art is a little sub-par. A few of the panels on Daxam and Oa are a little awkward. His Arisia is weird-looking and bends in strange ways. Also, some of the action was a little hard to decipher. Not all the panels are bad though. I liked the art in the Ash and Saarek panels. The use of Saarek's ring was particularly enjoyable and Gleason does a great job displaying Ash's rage.

We are also treated with a tease to the new Justice League: A Cry for Justice at the end of the issue. It is well written and creates some interest in the Justice League's new mission statement. I probably won't buy it, but if I start hearing good things about the comic I would not be surprised.

Green Lantern Corps #37 was a big disappointment. Last issue was so good because of its character moments. This one has none of those. It basically consists of the two uninteresting fight scenes. However, Scar did provide some hope that next issue might be significant to Blackest Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment