Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Green Lantern #42
Writer: Geoff Johns / Artist: Philip Tan, Eddy Barrows

Agent Orange has been an incredibly enjoyable story. I liked every issue more than the former...except this one. The conclusion to one of the best Green Lantern stories was a big step down from the first three chapters.

My biggest gripe with this issue is the Guardians' method to get rid of Larfleeze. Every issue has been building to a huge epic battle but the conclusion of it was a treaty. I wanted blood, not another lame deal with Larfleeze. The terms of the treaty were a little disturbing too. I suppose they were meant to further cloud the mystique of the Guardians, but I think it was a little overboard. Their actions were outright villainous this time.

Another letdown with this issue is the use of Fatality, the Violet Lantern of Love. I was hoping that her power would be the foil to Larfleeze's Greed. Nope! Her appearance wasn't utilized effectively at all. As a matter of fact, she just shows up, kisses John Stewart, and then leaves. What the hell?!? What was the point of that?

Those are my only two concerns with the writing. I actually still enjoyed the book very much. The way the Blue Ring tricked Larfleeze was cool and Hal's use of constructs was poetic justice. However, Hal's method of finally unleashing the power of the Blue Ring was sooooo cheesy. And even though I didn't like that a deal was made, I did like its outcome. Those poor Blue Lanterns.

As an epilogue to this issue we get to see the conclusion to Ash and Saarek's quest from the pages of Green Lantern Corps. Nothing unexpected happens here. They find a the Anti-Monitor's body and a Black Lantern and become confused. I did enjoy Saarek's reaction to all the dead voices though.

The art was so bizarre this issue. In some panels we're given a close-up of someone from an intense action scene and the difference in styles is glaring. All the close-ups look murky and undetailed compared to the regular bombastic style. Also, the Fatality and Stewart part was atrocious in its entirety. She looked like a prostitute and he looked like a blob of ink. As always though, my boy Larfleeze looked as menacing and greedy as ever.

My review is filled with many complaints but only because I was expecting so much more. Ever since I began reading this series, it has become one my favorites and the Agent Orange arc was the best. The ending may have been lackluster, but overall, it was still an enjoyable read. I'm still eagerly anticipating what is coming next, so Geoff Johns still did a successful job with this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment