Saturday, November 20, 2010

Harry Potter Midnight Show

Have you ever been to a midnight showing of a movie? If you have, then you know that they're loads of fun. Sure it's cool just to be one of the first people in the city to see your current favorite movie. But that's only half the fun. The other half comes from the crowd. The costumes, the talks of expectations from the movie, the nerd discussions, and the pure excitement all make the movie-watching experience more enjoyable. I bet you'd like to know what I'm talking about.

First and foremost, always get to the movie early. Not only does this help ensure that you'll get some good seats in the movie, but it is essential to the midnight-movie experience. The time in line is the best opportunity to mingle with your fellow enthusiasts and costume gaze. I've provided a few pictures to help you experience the fun. My apologies for the bad quality. I forgot my camera and didn't turn the flash on on my phone.

Harry Potter's line was so extreme that when I arrived one hour early, 300 other people were ahead of me, which canceled out the good-seat-insurance part of the plan. In fact, I accidentally cut in front of a few people thinking "surely that's not where the line is." That little misunderstanding almost caused a nerd-fight and maybe even the dreaded nerd-riot, but cooler heads prevailed and we decided to make a joke a about the length of the line, comparing it to the one at Gilderoy Lockhart's book signing in Chamber of Secrets (HA HA). The line didn't bother me though. As I said, it's half the fun.

I'd be remiss if I didn't get to the costumes sooner or later. Looking at costumes is always fun. Why do people like Halloween? Costumes. Well they're even funnier on days not dedicated to looking stupid. And since Harry Potter fans are perhaps the most fanatical of all, most of the crowd was dressed up. I was actually surprised at how many were wearing the authentic robes. Those bad boys go for $100 a pop. There were plenty of makeshift costumes too. A few guys just wore what I'm sure are their bed sheets with moons and stars on them as capes. Some girls teased their hair and called themselves Bellatrix Lestrange. And thankfully, other girls just wore little black dresses and fishnets and came as sluts. Unfortunately I haven't figured out a way to ask a skank for a picture without looking like a perv though. I am open to suggestions.

Some of the discussions amongst us line-dwellers were quite stimulating. A popular topic was whether Emma Watson (Hermione) was still doable with her new short and boyish haircut. The answer was a resounding "YES!". Other conversations got a little heated. One girl was actually offended that I wasn't interested in the Tron movie. "It's got cool CGI and Daft Punk, you have to like it." When I tried to change to conversation to Green Lantern to ease the tension, she had none of it, calling Ryan Reynolds a pu**y. When I defended the poor guy, she said "Are you kidding? Have you seen how close together his eyes are?" Seeing a golden opportunity, a friend of mine sarcastically responded, "Yeah, you didn't know that was the universal pu**y indicator?" Finally, the laughter came. I love nerds. They know how to laugh at their absurdities.

If you thought the awesome waiting-game stopped once you entered the theater, you would have been wrong. Upon sitting in my seat in the second to the front row thanks to my place at the back of the line, trivia started. Trivia is always fun and most of the crowd got a kick out of it. They got the opportunity to show off their Harry Potter intelligence and won posters for it. However, most of the questions were based on the movie we were about to watch, like "Who dies first?" and "What happens to Ron's brother George?" If you haven't read any of the books, like my friend Alfredo, these were spoilers. He was distraught at the blatant disrespect towards his ignorance. Sorry man. Alfredo still enjoyed the movie though, spoilers or not.

Oh yeah! The movie! It was good. You don't need me for that though. Read a review. I wanted you to feel the midnight experience. Hopefully you enjoyed it and will want to join me at midnight, July 15 to watch the second part of Harry Potter's last film. Leave a comment to let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment