Monday, November 16, 2009

Reviews - Week of November 11, 2009

***Book of the Week***
Fables #90
Writer: Bill Willingham / Artist: Mark Buckingham
I know what you're thinking. "Hey, I don't remember seeing Fables in your 'Previews' post. And what's with the late reviews?!" Well fans, I'm sorry for the delay. Your boy has been kind of busy this week. As far as Fables goes, I, quite frankly, forgot about this brilliant book. I gave up on it once they started the "Great Fables Crossover" amongst their three books because I hate crossover events and couldn't afford to add two extra books to my "buy" pile just to read one bad story. Now that the crossover is over, I've read numerous good reviews about Fables' new story arc and decided to give it a try again. Boy am I glad I did. This new story, "Witches," is just as intense and entertaining as "War and Pieces." Willingham does a phenomenal job not only juggling countless different plot threads, but making them interesting and significant at the same time. In the span of 22 pages, I was able to get hooked by Bufkin's quest against Baba Yaba, captivated by Ozma's coup, intrigued by Frau's plan, and reintroduced to the awesome Mr. Dark. Buckingham's art is as amazing as ever. No one has the ability to combine the intricacies of Willingham's story with a sort of simplistic style of art that perfectly matches the book's content. So much was good about this book, I'm almost ashamed I wasted half of the review telling you why I initially dropped it. Then again, all the praise in the world wouldn't do this issue justice. Just buy it already!
IGN - 8.7/10

Green Lantern Corps #42
Writer: Peter Tomasi / Artist: Patrick Gleason
A close second for "Book of the Week" has to be this one. It may be the same old story of Black Lanterns beating down some good guys, but Tomasi has written it better than anyone. He does a fantastic job combining "Holy crap" moments of Black Lanterns doing crazy stuff and "Oh wow" surprises, like Kyle Raynor's strategy to distract them and the subsequent failure of that strategy. We also find out the Black Lanterns' true purpose for their attacks on Oa and every other Lantern homeworld. To be honest, we already knew that from other books, but nowhere was it as hard hitting, so I'm going to consider this book as the "reveal." Gleason's art was also quite impressive this issue. I usually find some of his characters awkward looking and country hick-like, but none of that was here. He also manages the immense amount of action quite well, never leaving me confused as to what was happening. The plot developments may be hard to come by in this book, but nowhere are you going to find moments as emotional and surprising as the ones that take place here regularly.
IGN - 9.4/10
Comic Book Resources - 2.5/5

Amazing Spider-Man #611
Writer: Joe Kelly / Artist: Eric Canete
I'm a little torn with this book. On the one hand, it's hilarious and fun. Deadpool and Spider-Man, written by Joe Kelly, is a team-up made in heaven. Whether they're making fun of each other about their monologues or just making fun of each other with "Your mama" jokes, I was laughing the whole time. Kelly does a great job giving each character his own voice while also making both funny at the same time. The problem I have with this issue, the proverbial "other hand," is that none of it makes sense. Deadpool was just a distraction? Couldn't Miss Kraven have picked one of her people to do that? And what was he a distraction for? There were three minor characters highlighted for this issue and I have no idea what makes them significant. The art was a bit iffy for me too. I appreciate a new style being added to the mix, but Canete was a just a little too unrefined. Some of his panels were just downright ugly at times. So to recap: if you're looking to laugh for a few minutes, like when you read the funnies in the paper, get this book. If you're looking for a story, maybe you should stay away.
IGN - 8/10
Comic Book Resources - 4.5/5

Cable #20
Writer: Duane Swierczynski / Artist: Gabriel Guzman
Aaaaarrrrgh! This book sucks! I've tried for two years to like this book because of the potential it has, but it still sucks! If something important wasn't slated to happen next issue, Hope's return to the present, this would have been my last review. The whole issue played out ridiculously like every episode of the cartoon, Road Runner. Bishop (Wily Coyote) tries to kill Hope (The Road Runner), some crazy event stops him (the Brood penetrate his brain), Hope escapes, and then he finds an insane way to go after her again (getting eaten by a space whale and using him as a transport). Does that sound stupid? <---rhetorical. Guzman sucks too. His art actually looks like the Road Runner cartoon when it's not indistinguishably blotchy. I can't wait for the mutant messiah to return home so I can quit reading this book.
*No major site reviewed this book



No comments:

Post a Comment